Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ritual and The Road


Prior to leaving on our trip to the northeast, I completed my usual pre-race ritual.  This primarily includes going over the bike, from tip to tail.  The point is to minimize the chance for 'controllable' issues.  Once I'm on-course at  Battenkill, there will be many things I cannot control, but bike maintenance is not one of those things.  I added a new chain as well, which has already improved my shifting.  I plan to properly break it in tomorrow on the streets of NYC.

The hard training rides are done, the statistics have been crunched, and now the consternation begins.  I'll spend tomorrow relaxing in the city with Sarah and Jill, but my mind will want to wander to the race start, the first hills, and the mad dash through the covered bridge. 

I've got my new set of Conti Gatorskin Hardshell tires, and am excited to give them a try.  I went with size 25 for extra grip on the steep ascents and for a little extra cush on the gravel descents.   See, my heartrate is already going up...

After a two-day (and very scenic) trip from W-S through the Shenandoah valley and now to NYC, Coach and I are staying with her sister about two blocks from Grand Central.  The view is killer, and the city is alive.  More later, with pics from the city and our upcoming trip to Saratoga Springs and Cambridge, NY on Friday. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment