Sunday, March 21, 2010

Un pave' pre-ride

The CLM crew headed to the NC high country this weekend.  Several of the CLM are signed-up for Boone-Roubaix, also dubbed "The Hell of the High Country."  After pre-riding big chunks of the course on Saturday, I think they hit the nail on the head.  There are two loops, and depending on your category, the distances vary.  We ended up riding most of the big loop and two laps of the shorter loop.  Due to a little cue-sheet snafu, we didn't exactly know where we were going. 

Nonetheless, we rocked our new kits and climbed like maniacs.  The downhills are screamers as well, and I don't envy my buddies who will be streaking down those things at 45+ mph.  Godspeed, CLM.

We ended up with about 30 miles and 2500 ft of climbing.  I think this will be a race of attrition, for those who don't flat or end up with mechanicals on the gravel.  The summary statement:  sit in and move up on the hills.

A few pics stolen from Barry and Mitch:  The CLM rolls out...
Barry and I pulling along...
I flatted with about 1 ft to go in the first gravel section...ugh.
Top of the big climb, getting our bearings.  Mitch showing some sort of gang sign...
Happily pedaling along the New River.  A perfect day...
Now the training is going to get crunchy, however.  Lots of fast rides coming up, with my race simulation on Saturday.  62 miles at 22.5 avg, solo.  It will be a feat if I pull it off.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment