Tuesday, January 26, 2010


This is how I felt for most of the ride tonight.  The goal: a simple 20-mile cruise through the city on our beloved Loop.  Well, Mutha Nature and her windy ways conspired against me.  I did have about 46 seconds of tailwind, which felt like a sunny day on the beach, cold beer in hand.  But for the rest of the 64 minute ride, I was in misery.

They say that runners (I count myself as one), whether beginner or experienced, will have a 'bad' run about 1/4 of the time.  The 'bad' runs feel rotten from the start, and get worse as you go.  Hills feel twice as steep, every joint aches, and without explanation you simply can't muster the (warning: southern expression) gumption to put in that final kick much less put on the usually cool face you put on when passing other joggers or walkers.  You look miserable.

Transfer that to the bike and you have my ride tonight.

The dreary stats:

Route:  HM --> CC --> Peacehaven --> Polo --> Indiana -->Patterson --> Northwest Blvd to the West End Climbs:  West End Blvd & Forsyth St.  --> two laps of Hanes Park then back home.
Dist:  About 20 miles
Time:  An hour and change
Avg:  Blessedly over 18mph, but not by much.

Up next:  Hmmm...plan calls for Thursday night ride and a Saturday ride.  Weather forecast predicts snow on Saturday and temps in the 30s on Sunday, so I may ride Wed and Thurs nights to get some miles in.  A block of training!


0 comments:

Post a Comment