Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Symbol.


On the shortest day of the year, I take time to salute my trusty NiteRider light.  She has guided me across darkened streets, muddy trails, but most often along our beloved city loop alone or in a frenetic nocturnal paceline.

It is also the day that registration opens for the 2011 Tour of the Battenkill.  That said, I am signed up.  So is Barry.  Maybe Mark Hekman will jump into the fray next?  I think he should. 

With many short days ahead, the light and I will again enter into our winter bond:  For me, she will cast light upon steel grates, potholes, animal carcasses, and the rear end of the rider I'm following.  For her, I will pedal hard to ensure a frosty breeze keeps her metal heatsinks cool.  She's low maintenance.

And when the sun again lingers late into the evening and I can put her away for awhile, I will remember her glow as it was on these cold winter nights.  But, as Mr. Frost has written, "I have miles to go before I sleep" and it will be many weeks before this old girl gets a rest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment